Happy New Year!
To celebrate the New Year, HomeRoutines for iPhone and iPad are on special – Just 99c for 2 days only!
It’s very easy to write a list of New Year’s resolutions. It’s much harder to actually follow through with them past about 10:32am on January 1st. The first step should be to write an achievable list in the first place.
The list I’ve written above…isn’t a sensible list. (It caused my husband Tim to panic and very nervously ask me if “that list downstairs… is a real list”) Your goals need to be Manageable and Realistic – as well as all the other letters in the SMART Goals acronym
If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to organize your house and live in the clean and tidy home you’ve always imagined, you’re not alone. Unfortunately, there’s no instant fix to do that overnight. But if you build up routines gradually, and declutter bit-by-bit, you will get there in the end. I tell you what, it’s my (real) resolution too; I didn’t design an app for managing housework because cleaning comes naturally to me. I am not “Born Organized” as they say.
Here’s what I’m doing: starting from the beginning and taking it slowly.
Ideas for building up your routines gently
- Start small. Create a morning routine that contains only 4 or 5 tasks that you already always do. Stick with that for a week and enjoy your gold stars.
- Build up gently. Try another week where you add one task that you “should” do but don’t. There’s always one that’s disproportionately hard to do: it might be sweeping the floor, folding the laundry, or unloading the dishwasher. Add that one to your morning routine.
- Add another task a little while later
- When you’re mostly completing all the tasks in your morning routine, create an evening routine with the tasks you already do.
- Build up from there.
Some more good examples of routines
- Flylady’s daily and weekly routines
- Weekly Chore Schedule at Home Ec 101
- Schedules and Routines at Household Management 101 – with great daily and weekly examples
- Leo Babauta’s morning and evening routine
- Simple Mom’s morning routine and weekly routine
- Magic Minimum at Organized Home
- The Daily 7 at Totally Together Journal
- Establishing Routines at Unclutterer
- S.H.E. ROUTINES keeping you sane at The Shebang